Thursday, November 13, 2008

Couldn't have put it better myself

Don't know who Jerry Pournelle is but I was led to his blog by the inestimable Glenn Reynolds. In his piece Mr Pournelle (I hope he has no title I should know about) says that Americans should not despair. The first signs of how the President-Elect behaves are not good but the results were quite hopeful and there will be a turn-around. Others are saying the same.

This, however, is the money quote:
We have always known that eternal vigilance is the price of freedom. It's worse now, because capture of government is so much more important than it once was. There was a time when there was enough freedom that it hardly mattered which brand of crooks ran government. That has not been true for a long time -- not during most of your lifetimes, and for much of mine -- and it will probably never be true again.
And so I keep saying about this country, particularly about crooks running governments. It was ever thus but it matters now because they have more power to interfere, whether they are here or in Brussels or some place in between. Except that I think we should try to make sure that it is true again.